Wednesday, October 15, 2014

AS&SH dinosaur sketching continues...

Work continues for the "Forgotten Fane of the Coiled Goddess" by +Joe Salvador module published by +Jeff Talanian (North Wind Adventures) for his Astonishing Swordsmen and Sorcerers of Hyperborea game system and campaign setting. 

Without further ado, I present three more thumbnail sketches for my continuing work. 

The crazy looking Pegomastax, sort of a bird like reptile with tusks. 

(Click to Enlarge)
Copyright Del Teigeler 2014

What sets this guy apart is the bird like beak with tusks. There are some great reference drawings of this guy, and I plan on inking him in like the rest in this series, maintaining a high level of detail and only slight grey-scale shading with Prismacolor markers. 

Up next is the speedy little Coelurus! I had fun with this one. 

(Click to Enlarge)
Copyright Del Teigeler 2014.

This guy is like a little sprinter, and so I wanted to show an extreme amount of movement in him, what better way to show this, than having him in a position that shows him changing direction rapidly. Perhaps he was pursuing some quick little prey, or maybe just chasing a potential mate. 

Regardless my aim was to capture the spirit of this little guy. I cannot wait to get to the inking. 

Finally, the mighty Allosaurus. 

(Click to Enlarge)
Copyright Del Teigeler 2014

So, this guy took a bit more research, how do you illustrate the second most terrifying "giant lizard" in the dinosaur genus, behind the mighty Tyrannosaurus, without making him look like a T-Rex? Well, firstly you have to find the differences between the two, and I did extensive research, little did I know that the Allosaurus actually existed before the Rex, and was quite a bit smaller. They were fast, smart and deadly. Quite unlike the T-Rex, who wasn't known for his smarts, but sheer brutality. 

That is why I put him in a pose that suggests that he had to do a bit more sneaking up on prey, versus just chasing a smaller victim down, ripping the tar out of them and cleaning his dagger like teeth with the bones. Allosaurus had to be a bit smarter about his behavior. Faster, and more devious. 

I also wanted to thank +Joe Salvador +Jeff Talanian  and the rest of you who follow my work and provide me with feedback. Thanks again.

Thanks for looking, comments always welcome. 


No comments:

Post a Comment