Thursday, November 20, 2014

Random Gamers Guild Work: Granite Asp

I am continuing to showcase my completed work for the Random Gamers Guild and Matt Hargenrader. The product will probably be called "DWELLERS IN THE DARK PLACES" and be available near the beginning of the year. It is a creature catalog of sorts. Check it out and back it on Kickstarter.com when you see it. 

This one is the Granite Asp!

I started off wanting to make this snake a stone like construct, and but wanted to add him to an environment as well. I scoured the interwebs and found a decent image of some granite columns of the roman era. They were perfect. 

Looking at them I was noticing the texture of them, and it really stood out to me that they were really pitted and streaked with darker colors. I don't get the opportunity to do a lot of ink dot work, so I thought this would be a great way to get it out of my system. 

Copyright Del Teigeler 2014. Licensed to Matt Hargenrader.

I am quite pleased with the fluted column, and the way the snake wraps around it. I feel like I was able to accomplish blending the Asp in, but keeping him separate as well. The textures are what make it for sure. 

I imagine torch light bouncing off of him in the dark corridors, and unsuspecting adventurers thinking "that's a nasty looking column" then....WHAM! the Asp attacks. (insert maniacal laughter here.)

Thanks for looking, and comments always welcome. 

No comments:

Post a Comment