Tuesday, January 13, 2015

Petty Gods: Miri Nigri

When +Richard LeBlanc put out the call for more artists to sign on for his Petty Gods campaign seen here, I threw my name in the ring. Richard teamed me up with the Miri Nigri a constructed race of amphibian like creatures created by Chaugnar Faugn. 

I don't know why but my version seen below in the preliminary sketch made me remember a beloved movie of my youth. 

Copyright Del Teigeler 2015.

I sketched in the guy in the front first starting with his toad like head, added in the gaunt shoulders and then to the protruberant belly and frog like legs. He really had the look of Golum in the animated feature The Hobbit. So I had to not only keep the look as an homage, but also add in the "rams-like" horns to give him a different look entirely. 

I went with the three fingered TMNT approach to their hands as well, it just seemed to work for these guys. 

The guy in the background I gave buffalo like horns, leading the viewer to believe that none of the Miri Nigri are alike in appearance. Primative spears complete the look, and I will add more trinkets and details in the inking phase. 

Richard wanted the background to be a cave, and so I put in a common adventuring party along with in in the shadows, as if these Miri Nigri were chanced upon and now had some breakfast walk into their cavern. 

Well, here is the final illustration. 


Miri Nigri Petty Gods Del Teigeler Frog Men
Copyright Del Teigeler 2015. Licensed to Richard LeBlance for Petty Gods 2015.

I am pleased with the final and it only took me about 3 hours to finish it up. My work is getting faster, I just hope I am not sacrificing quality. Let me know. 


Thanks for looking, comments always welcome. 

No comments:

Post a Comment